Step 1: Determine your eligibility.

1. You must have a high school diploma or equivalency.

2. You must have a minimum amount of work experience. You must have worked for at least 1000 hours (about 6 months full time) under the supervision of an ophthalmologist in the 12 months prior to application.


If you are eligible, go to step 2.



#6 Moderator 2015-12-01 20:53
Hi Angie,

You will want to take the COA exam prep course that is offered on The link to more info is below:
#5 Angie wheatley 2015-12-01 20:21
I've worked as an uncertified ophthalmic assistant from August 2005 until April 2015 . I want to get certified on my hiatus from work . The ophthalmologist i worked for is willing to sponsor me. Do I qualify for the study course ?
#4 Moderator 2015-09-10 03:07
Hi Katy,

#3 Katy 2015-08-26 19:31
Is it possible to use this program to get certified during the 6 months that I am gaining my 1000 hours of supervised experience? Or, do I have to complete the hours before I can sign up?
#2 Moderator 2013-08-20 15:26
Hi Dr. Cheng,

There are some basic training materials on the website that are free access, available here:

There are also in-depth prep courses (fee based) on

If you are interested in getting your staff certified, it is possible through JCAHPO. You will need to talk to them about the procedure for Hong Kong. The website is
#1 Dr George Cheng 2013-08-20 02:09
I am Ophthalmologist working in Hong Kong.
Can my staff join the training program?
Thanks a lot.

Add comment

Security code